A man who led the University of Northern Iowa through tumultuous times and some big changes has died. James William “Bill” Maucker led the Cedar Falls school through two name changes during his 20-year tenure. He was named the fifth president of Iowa State Teachers College in 1950. The school changed its name to State College of Iowa in 1961, then became the University of Northern Iowa in 1967. During Maucker’s years, the campus expanded with several buildings, including the Malcolm Price Laboratory School, Russell Hall, Rod Laboratory, Gilchrist Hall, McCollum Science Hall, the Student Union, Campbell Hall, and the Towers residence halls. The student union was named for Maucker in 1974. The last half of Maucker’s presidency was plagued by civil-rights demonstrations and anti-Vietnam protests during the 1960s. Maucker left UNI in 1970 for Emporia State College in Kansas. He retired to Minnesota in 1986, and returned to Cedar Falls to live out his retirement in 1994.
You are here: / / Former UNI leader dies