Amateur auto mechanics across Iowa can learn an important lesson from an accident this week in southwestern Iowa. Corning Fire Chief Donnie Willet says a fast-moving and potentially-deadly housefire started at the home of Diane Westin on Tuesday night.
Chief Willet says “Her son, Richard, was working on a car in a basement garage, had gas spill out on the floor (near) the gas water heater. It ignited the fumes from the gas and caught the house on fire.” Willet says the flames spread quickly, engulfing the whole house. He says it was a difficult fire to fight and crews were on-scene for five hours.
Willet says the fire extended from the basement clear into the attic and into the walls. He says the house is considered a total loss with at least 45-thousand dollars damage. Both occupants of the home escaped with no injuries reported.