An apartment house in Spencer was heavily damaged this morning by a fire. Fire Chief Doug Duncan says the department was called out about 1-30 to a fire where flames were showing from first-floor windows on the west side of the building when they arrived. A woman from an upstairs apartment was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation and later released.
Chief Duncan says the cause of the fire was bedding ignited by an unattended candle. The state fire marshal’s office investigated the blaze. Officials say the damage could exceed $10,000.