Investigators say “unattended cooking” is to blame for a fire that destroyed a building in Iowa City this week. The fire broke out Tuesday evening in a building that houses two apartments and a family business. No one was injured, but the fire spread quickly and the building was declared a loss.
The business is known as The Dental Lab and makes custom molds and other supplies for dentists. Authorities say the fire started with a pot of oil on a stovetop which ignited nearby combustibles.
A news release from the Iowa City Fire Department indicates residents escaped without injury because they were alerted by properly maintained smoke alarms.