Steve Alford has been named the new head mens basketball coach at the University of Iowa. Iowa Athletic Director Bob Bowlsby made the announcement today and says they are happy to have Alford on board. Alford says he was impressed with how the Iowa players took a difficult situation and made the most of it this season. Alford says he enjoyed his time at Manchester College and Southwest MIssouri State, but at those schools he was always asked on the recruiting trail how long he would stay. Alford says the goal now is to hit the recruiting trail and says he does not know what kind of team he will have next season. Bowlsby says he first contacted Southwest Missouri State officials about Alford back in December.Bowlsby says the more he found out about Alford, the more he thought he was the right coach for the job. The former Indiana All-American says he’s happy to be part of the Big Ten once again. Alford says his father, Sam, will be on his staff. He will also interview current assistant coach Rich Walker. Alford hopes none of the current players decide to leave the program but he says he will make it clear what he expects.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!