A loophole in Iowa law may allow meatpackers to own livestock — somethingthose in the industry refer to as “vertical integration.” The Iowa Housethis morning endorsed a proposal to close that loophole by banning packersfrom owning buildings which are used for livestock. Representative RussellTeig of Jewell says current law simply bars packers from owning”feedlots.”Critics of “vertical integration” say it gives packers complete monopolycontrol of the livestock industry — from an animal’s birth to butchering.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!