New students at the University of Iowa, and their parents, are gettingletters warning them to avoid alcohol — or else. Underage drinkers willface a one-year ban from dorms, they’ll be required to take substance abuseclasses & have mandatory meetings with the dean.Phillip Jones is the U-of-I’s vice president for student services. He saysthe University wants to make it clear underage drinking will not betolerated. Jones says none of the information in the letters is new — itall relates to what he calls the “Code of Student Life.”Jones says alcohol abuse is a serious -national- public health problem andthe U-of-I is no exception.Summer orientation at the U-of-I is now underway.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall