An Iowan is leading the U-S Senate hearing today investigating thelaundering of drug money. Senator Chuck Grassley is chairman of the SenateCaucus on International Narcotics Control. He says some U-S businesses arebeing lured into the schemes unwittingly, but it’s hard finding witnesses.Grassley says drug lords in Columbia use third-party checks, money orders orcash to unload drug money and buy legitimate items — which can then besold for profit south of the border. He says the companies being usedinclude Sony, Whirlpool, Kodak & General Electric.The goods involved range from appliances to cigarettes to footwear.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall