The gates open this morning at nine for the 141st running of the Iowa StateFair. From livestock to high-tech exhibits, music, food and rides, fairspokeswoman Kathie Swift says the 11-day spectacle is an annual favorite.Concerts range from the Goo-Goo Dolls to Def Leppard to Reba McEntire.Swift says this MAY be the year the fair is able to break seven-digits withattendance. The record year was in 1997 with 946-thousand attendees. Swiftsays there’ll be plenty of creatures to see, not just cows and pigs.Among this year’s new attractions — Swift says the Fun Forest behind theAgriculture Building is a real knockout park for kids and adults.She says more than three-million dollars has also been invested in theCattle Barn, with a new roof and an extension of the annex.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A sure sign spring is coming: The Home + Garden Show opens today
- Iowa farmer calls on Congress to pass ‘climate-smart’ Farm Bill
- Public weighs in on AEA changes during hearing at Iowa Capitol
- Author of memoir about being a foster care parent to speak in Iowa tonight
- Teen dies in Howard County farm accident