Like many jails in Iowa, the Cerro Gordo county jail is over-crowded andCounty Sheriff’s Department Lieutenant Kurt Kuhlers (coolers) says in recentdays he has had to transfer as many as 16 inmates to other county jails.Cerro Gordo county is moving ahead with plans to convert a building indowntown Mason City to a minumum security facility. Kuhlers says it can’topen soon enough.The state’s chief jail insepctor ordered the county to alleviate theover-crowded conditions or face losing a number of licensed beds. Kuhlerssays that would devastating to his department.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk