A coalition of Iowa church and religious groups is joining forces with 10Iowa labor unions to talk about their roles in society. Members of variousunions will speak to several churches in central Iowa this Labor Day Weekend.Kathleen McQuillen, a spokesperson for the Iowa Friends Service Committee,says they decided to team up with labor unions after working with them onanother project.McQuillen says the ties between faith and labor used to be much stronger.She says they’re trying to strengthen those ties again.McQuillen says the unions and churches are concerned that everyone talksabout the great economy in the United States, but some 20 to 25-percent ofAmerican children live in poverty.Union members will speak at 16 churches this Labor Day weekend.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House sends governor repeal of Iowa’s gender balance rule for boards, commissions
- Humboldt Middle School teacher charged with sexual exploitation of a student
- Lawmaker launches converation about cutting Iowa casino taxes
- Author of the Bass Reeves trilogy to appear in Iowa tonight
- Historic West Liberty building moving today