Before any significant snow flies, state officials are encouraging snowmobile drivers to take a safety course. Sonny Satre is the recreational safety coordinator for the Department of Natural Resources. Snowmobilers between 12 and 17 have to successfully complete the safety course before driving their machines on public land. Satre says the D-N-R safety courses cover a variety of topics and are taught by some 300 volunteers from snowmobile clubs statewide.While snowmobiling is a lot of fun, Satre warns it can be risky for the untrained driver — and deadly.Satre suggests calling your county conservation officer for the course nearest to you.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record