The Le Mars-based “Wells Blue Bunny” company opened its “ice cream capital of the world” visitors’ center today. Dave Smetter, the dairy’s advertising and public relations manager, says calling LeMars the “ice cream capital of the world” isn’t just a gimmick — it’s the truth. Smetter says for safety’s sake, visitors aren’t allowed in the dairy itself, so the visitors’ center shows videotapes of the ice cream-making process — and has an old-fashioned ice cream parlor, too — although the treats served up aren’t free. Admission is $2 for adults and a dollar for kids between the ages of five and 12 — kids under five get in free. The center is positioned at the intersection of U.S. Highway 75 and Route 3 in LeMars, which is about 25 miles north of Sioux City.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!