Four dozen singing ambassadors from Iowa will leave tonight for an international tour. The Drake University Choir is heading on a 12-day European trip that will include performances in Austria and Italy.Aimee Beckmann-Collier is director of choral studies at Drake and will lead the group of 48 students through Europe. The choir is made up of students who represent every college at the University. She says the students raised 120-thousand dollars to pay for the trip.Beckmann-Collier says she gave a lot of thought to what songs the choir will be performing. The list of songs ranges from folk to spirituals, which they’ll be performing in European castles, churches and abbeys.While overseas, the Drake students plan to do a little sightseeing and visit the former Nazi concentration camp at Dachau , Germany. The group is scheduled to depart Des Moines at 6:30 tonight.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature