An Eastern Iowa meatpacking plant is officially closing its doors today. The move will leave nearly 11-hundred employees at Farmland Foods in Dubuque without a job. John Morrell and Company recently purchsed the plan. Since the announcement, the Dubuque chamber has hosted job fairs and career opportunity sessions to help Farmland employees. Chamber President Steve Horman says it’s hard top tell how many employees have found new jobs.Horman says many of the Farmland employees should make an easy transition into new jobs, but some may need additional training.Horman says the variety of positions at Farmland should also be a plus for employees looking for work.The chamber hopes many of the employees will stay in Dubuque and find work.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Bill tightens Iowa’s ban on foreign ownership of farmland
- House sends governor repeal of Iowa’s gender balance rule for boards, commissions
- Humboldt Middle School teacher charged with sexual exploitation of a student
- Lawmaker launches converation about cutting Iowa casino taxes
- Author of the Bass Reeves trilogy to appear in Iowa tonight