A seminar today in Cedar Rapids seeks to examine the number of suicides committed with guns. Iowans for the Prevention of Gun Violence president John Johnson says people who intentionally shoot themselves account for 80 percent of all gun-related deaths in Iowa.Johnson says having a gun around someone who’s distressed or depressed is a public health risk similar to smoking or driving without a seat belt.The featured speaker at today’s conference is Dr. Lloyd Potter, director of the Children’s Safety Network. Participants from across the Midwest are expected at the daylong event at the Collins Plaza Hotel and Convention Center.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall