Two Iowa high school graduates were honored this afternoon as “Presidential scholars.” Wayne Shyy of Ames and Eileen Lee of West Des Moines attended a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. Lee already has some college experience as she’s begun attending the University of Iowa.Lee says Presidential scholars win an all-expenses-paid, one-week trip to Washington, D.C.Shyy says the highlight today was meeting the President and getting to shake his hand.Shyy says it’s also been a great experience to meet all the other scholars.Shyy will attend Princeton next year. Just 141 students from around the nation were tapped as “Presidential scholars” this year.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Dry weather could hurt some Iowa trees
- Clear Lake sets record for earliest ice-free date
- Iowa paddlers need to be patient and wait for consistent warm weather
- A 6% pay raise still means Iowa judges will earn less than judges in surrounding states
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues