One of the fixtures on the Iowa sports scene plans to retire at the end of this month. Duane Schroeder has been the Sports Information Director at Wartburg College in Waverly for 42 years. His retirement will end the longest active stay in one job by a sports information director and the second longest in the history of the profession. Schroeder says it’s time to say goodbye to a temporary job that ended up spanning over four decades. He took the job on a one-year contract expecting to be drafted, but the draft call never came and he stayed on.He says the athletic department at the school has changed a lot since he began his job. They now do most things by computer.Schroeder says the sports info business has changed a lot too, as he says there weren’t any press boxes when he started.Schroeder graduated from Wartburg before taking the S-I-D job and says he’s always loved the school and campus. He plans to continue doing some work on campus even after he retires August 1st.Former Iowa State University S-I-D Harry Burrell nips Schroeder for the longest term in the profession at 44 years.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- DeSantis hits 99th county, Trump rallies with crowd in two Iowa cities
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime