A group of Independence residents is working to restore a 108-year-old railroad depot and turn it into a Buchanan County visitors’ center. Jeanette Randall is on the depot committee and says they started the project to leave a legacy to other generations.Randall says it’d be great to get the interior restoration work done on the depot by the summer of 2001 with the entire project complete in 2002.Randall says many soldiers left the depot to go to war.The half-Million-dollar project is being paid for through state and federal grants along with local and private donations.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk