A cow near Sioux City is getting ready to deliver her one-of-a-kindoffspring. Research scientist Dr. Phil Damiani (dah’-me-ah-nee) of AdvancedCell Technology says the animal to be born is not a cow but a rare speciesof ox called a Gaur (gower). Dr. Damiani says it’s not quite a “JurassicPark” scenario since the D-N-A comes from a living species, but he isworking on reviving a recently-extinct animal — a type of goat. Dr. Damianisays the D-N-A material either has to be taken from a living animal or afrozen specimen, as in an upcoming goat trial. He says this kind oftechnology could help correct past human mistakes.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall