The American Red Cross is looking for African American Iowans who’re willing to help teach others in their communities about HIV and AIDS. The Central Iowa Chapter is hosting training sessions. Chapter HIV/AIDS coordinator Sharon Miller says there’s a need for more education in the African American community. Miller says African Americans and Hispanics account for 69 percent of the new HIV/AIDS cases even though they make up only 23 percent of the population.Miller says volunteers just need to be willing to get involved.She says the training will focus on the things that impact African Americans.You can call Miller to sign up for the training at 515-243-7681.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!