Astronomers say Iowa should get a good show from the Leonid meteor showers beginning tonight. N-A-S-A astrophysicist Mitzi Adams says you’ll be able to see what some people call “shooting stars.”Adams says the meteorites are actually small bits of material from icy comets hitting the earth’s atmosphere.You can see the meteor shower tonight and tomorrow and she says the best time to see them would be around 3 am Saturday. Adams says you can see the meteor shower near the moon.She says don’t look directly at the moon as it will be bright and ruin your night vision. With hundreds of these tiny particles hitting the atmosphere, what happens to objects orbiting the earth such as the space station.Adams says N-A-S-A is monitoring the showers closely to see if there are any problems with the space station and satellites.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk