The Iowa Utilities Board unveiled a new area code number for eastern Iowa today. Spokesman Rob Hillesland says the current 3-1-9 area code was split because they were running out of phone numbers and the split off area code will use 5-6-3. Hillesland says the new code will take effect next year, with initial use on March 1st and mandatory use on September 1st.Hillesland says phone numbers in the 3-1-9 area code would have run out soon if no action were taken.Hillesland says he has now idea why 5-6-3 was chosen.The new area code by the way spells out J-O-E on the phone keypad. Some of the cities included in the new area code are: Decorah, Elkader, Dubuque, Clinton, Davenport, Bettendorf and Muscatine.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!