After more than 30 years in law enforcement, a top cop in northeastern Iowa has died in office.The outgoing sheriff of Fayette County died Monday of a heart attack. Sheriff Virgil Smith was 63. Marty Fisher beat Smith in the June primary and won this month’s election. It’s unknown if Fisher will take office earlier than he was scheduled to in January. A decision is expected soon from the Fayette County Board of Supervisors.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk