A key democrat says the Iowa Legislature needs to “pony up” some new money to ensure Iowa’s minimum teacher salary is raised. Representative Dick Myers of Iowa City is the new leader of House democrats.Myers and other democrats will oppose Republican-led efforts to cut other areas of education to finance a teacher salary boost.Myers says nobody likes to pay taxes, but improving the state’s education system should be a higher priority for lawmakers.Iowa’s minimum teacher salary sits just below 24-thousand today.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Dubuque wins millions in federal money for flood protection system updgrade
- Iowa continues to see lack of dentists who will take Medicaid patients
- Contest to choose state’s best breaded pork tenderloin down to 5 establishments
- Cedar Rapids Schools closed after online threat
- Iowa’s DeJean and Jackson honored by B1G