Confirmation hearings begin this afternoon for President-elect Bush’s choice for Attorney General. Missouri Senator John Ashcroft faces strong criticism from democrats over his views on civil rights, abortion and other issues. Republican Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley predicts Ashcroft -will- be approved. Grassley says people who know John Ashcroft “wouldn’t dare vote against him, because he is such an honorable, moral and ethically upright person.Grassley serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which has 18 members, nine from each party. Not only does Grassley predict Ashcroft will win appointment to the Attorney General’s post, but Grassley says he’ll win it with several democrats voting on his behalf. The hearing will be televised nationally. Ashcroft’s resume includes: former Governor of Missouri, former state auditor and former state attorney general.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall