A California developer wants to build a mile-long “Iowa Motor Speedway” in Newton for stock cars and sports cars. Randy Van reports. The Jasper County Board of Supervisors yesterday signed a “letter of intent” with California developer Jerry Lowrie, who wants to build a paved track and entertainment complex on 420 acres just south of Interstate 80. A number of Newton residents who oppose the track were at the supervisor’s meeting. In addition to the noise, one of their beefs is the 20-year tax abatement the developers want. It’s not a done deal. A public hearing’s set for February 27th. Lowrie and others from Newton will ask the state’s “Vision Iowa” board for a state grant to finance the project.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- A 6% pay raise still means Iowa judges will earn less than judges in surrounding states
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness