Athletes at this month’s Iowa Special Olympics summer games will receive free oral screening and vision exams. It is all part of the Special Olympics Healthy Athletes program and Kathy Irving says it is the first time the program has been offered in Iowa, although it’s been used in other states and at the international games.Irving says the summer games is the perfect event for a program like this as it’s the biggest event for Special Olympics.Irving says the Opening Eyes program will be part of the service. Athletes can have glasses made on the spot. The other service to be provided is Special Smiles in which a dental hygienist will work with the athletes.Irving says the program is designed to promote a healthy lifestyle and may uncover an undiagnosed problem.The summer games are May 24th and 25th in Ames.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk