The first day of summer is Thursday, and more Iowans will be hitting the water on their jetskis and boats. Rod Slings of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources says Iowans need to remember that those on jetskis should follow the same laws that boaters do.It’s surprising, but Slings says Iowans don’t need to have a boating license, and can operate boats and jetskis if they’re at least 12 years old.There were 58 boating accidents in the state last year, five of which resulted in death. Slings says one of the main things Iowans need to be aware of this year is high water levels and floating debris.One more thing: remember to wear your life jacket when on the water, and make sure the jacket is the right size to maximize its effectiveness.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Haley calls Alabama debate a scrum, CNN to host Iowa debate in January
- Canadian National buying Iowa Northern Railway
- Report finds farmland holding value in face of economic issues
- Late Hollywood legend Norman Lear touted ‘I come from Des Moines’ (AUDIO)
- Check the labels before hanging holiday lights to avoid a fire