A Council Bluffs businessman plans to run for the new, western Iowa fifth district congressional seat. Thirty-six-year-old Jeff Ballenger, a republican, says he’ll run in 2002, but he doesn’t want to be in Washington the rest of his life.As a businessman, Ballenger says he deals with government taxation on a daily basis. He wants to see that tax burden eased.Ballenger also wants to increase prescription drug coverage for the elderly.Ballenger owns Ballenger Automotive Service in Council Bluffs. He is married with one child. Current fifth district Congressman Tom Latham will run for re-election, but in the new fourth congressional district. Earlier this month, republican House Speaker Brent Siegrist of Council Bluffs has formed an exploratory committee to raise money for a congressional run. State Senator Steve King of Kiron and Senator John Redwine of Sioux City have said they’re interested in running. Both are republicans.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk