A Georgia-based meat-packer that’s been trying to find a home for a new factory in Iowa is having some trouble down south. Excel Corporation is recalling about 190-thousand pounds of ground beef and ground pork because of possible contamination by e-coli bacteria. A U-S-D-A report says Excel distributed the suspected meat to stores in Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee — but none in Iowa. The company has been trying to find a site in the Hawkeye State for a new multi-million dollar beef processing plant. Several cities have already rejected the plant’s proposals, including Des Moines, Cambridge and Iowa Falls. Excel is still in trying to woo officials in Mason City, Worth County and Ottumwa.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House Democrats back state directed retirement savings accounts
- Hinson says temporary federal spending plan likely by Friday deadlie
- Sen. Grassley to question Sec. Vilsack on passage of Farm Bill
- Just back from the border, Nunn talks with Iowans about stopping opioids
- Wife of murdered Iowa prison guard calls for expanding union rights