Hundreds of young musicians from several states and Canada are in central Iowa today for an international competition. The “Celebration in Brass” contest features five of North America’s top-ranked division-one drum and bugle corps, including one band from northeastern Iowa.J-D Mullen is executive director of the Ankeny Chamber of Commerce, which is hosting the performances. He says the five bands each have about 135 members who range in age from 14 to 22. They’ll present their musical productions through choreography, costuming and intricate drill designs.Mullen says people come from all over the region to see the competition which features vividly colored uniforms and flags — and hundreds of horns and drums.There are two bands from Ohio, one from Wisconsin, one from Ontario — and Iowa’s own Colts of Dubuque. Bands are performing in warm-up sessions around the Des Moines area today, with the big show tomorrow night at 7 p-m at Ankeny High School Stadium.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!