An eastern Iowa native may be subject of a confirmation vote as soon as today for a top trade job in the Bush Administration. Allen Johnson is nominated by Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley to serve as U-S Chief Agricultural Negotiator in the office of the U-S Trade Representative.Johnson worked as Grassley’s agricultural legislative assistant during the mid-1980s. Johnson is originally from the Scott County town of Long Grove, and his parents still farm there. Grassley says Johnson could have great impact in the post.The Senate Finance Committee, on which Grassley serves, will first have to approve Johnson’s nomination before it goes before the full Senate.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House sends governor repeal of Iowa’s gender balance rule for boards, commissions
- Humboldt Middle School teacher charged with sexual exploitation of a student
- Lawmaker launches converation about cutting Iowa casino taxes
- Author of the Bass Reeves trilogy to appear in Iowa tonight
- Historic West Liberty building moving today