The 101st annual Hobo Convention is underway this weekend in the northern Iowa town of Britt. Convention spokeswoman Darcy Eisenman says hobos should not be considered tramps, as they took to the trains to try and find work during the depression.Events include the parade and crowning of the king and queen tomorrow. Eisenman explains the process of selecting the hobo royalty. The King and Queen need to be nominated and they have five minutes to state their case for the crown.Eisenman says there are at least 50 hobos already in town for this weekend’s events, and more will arrive today.Other events include a carnival, and 5-and-10-K run, and an auction of hobo memorabilia.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Mississippi River bridge at Lansing could remain closed for months
- Thousands of dollars missing in apparent hack of Dyersville city email
- House Democrats back state directed retirement savings accounts
- Hinson says temporary federal spending plan likely by Friday deadlie
- Sen. Grassley to question Sec. Vilsack on passage of Farm Bill