An Iowa state trooper has been given the “award of valor” for his actions on an icy, snowy morning. Trooper Jeffrey Miller was helping a motorist having their car towed from the median of highway 218, north of Mount Pleasant. Miller’s boss, Sergeant Jeff Ritzman, says Miller pushed the tow truck driver to safety as another car started sliding toward ’em.Miller was struck by the vehicle and thrown to the pavement, but he got back up and started providing first aid to the driver of the second car. Miller says he “just did my job that day” and says he was surprised to be nominated for the award.Miller says he was aware of the potential for an accident at the scene and just reacted when he saw the car coming at the tow truck driver.The incident happened on January 5th.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!