Polk County officials unveiled final design plans today to upgrade and improve a familiar landmark in the Capitol City. Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines has hosted thousands of Iowans from across the state during basketball games, wrestling meets and trade shows. Polk County officials say a new events center with a sports arena and convention area will join a refurbished Vets to carry on that tradition. Architect Martin Smith says the “Iowa Events Center” can even go beyond hosting state tournaments and recreation shows to drawing in people from out of the state with concerts and other events.Smith says they’ve drawn heavily on the architecture of Vets and other buildings in Des Moines in designing the new portion of the center.The Iowa Events Center is part of 130-million dollars in improvements planned for Des Moines. Construction on the new building began earlier this month north of Vets and officials say it’ll take about 30 months to complete.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk