A sad day for fans of “Mombo the Clown.” Generations of northeast Iowa kids watched Mombo the Clown on the Dr. Max cartoon show from 1961 to ’81. Fred Petrick, the man who portrayed the sad clown, died Tuesday in Cedar Rapids at age 94 after a recent stroke. The kiddie show was seen on Channel 2 out of Cedar Rapids. Mombo played the trumpet to herald the arrival of kids’ birthdays and also played the violin.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk