A few dozen members of the Iowa Environmental Council are at the statehouse today, asking legislators to enact tougher rules for hog confinements. Steve Throssel of Elkader is with the Iowa River Greenbelt Resource Trust. He says they’re trying to blend the environmental needs with today’s modern agriculture. “Buz” Brenton of Des Moines, a founder of the Iowa Environmental Council, says the group’s a marriage of scientists, businesspeople, farmers and environmental activists.The Environmental Council advocates new rules for how much livestock manure may be applied to farm ground. The group’s also calling for stricter enforcement of current state rules that apply to hog lots.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Ramaswamy calls on Iowa’s governor, GOP rivals to take a stand on carbon pipelines
- Warmer weather is on the way
- Lawsuit challenges Iowa law on sexually-graphic books, discussions of sexual orientation in K-6 classes
- Iowa players honored by B1G
- Iowa’s DeJean and Taylor are finalists for national awards