Iowa does have an Enron connection. Iowa Senator Tom Harkin says he learned that when he was introduced to a Redfield woman living on her late husband’s pension. She’s living on his Northern Natural Gas pension, but it was bought by Enron and her entire income was wiped out. Harkin visited with residents in Redfield this morning, some of them also workers at the former Northern Natural Gas company.He met a man ready to retire after 32 years, who’s found he has no pension and can’t retire after all. Harkin says a law to combat the problem might take away some control from pension investors. Harkin’s on a committee that will write it, and it’s likely to include a rule that you can’t have all your retirement investment in one company.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Work underway on new multi million dollar terminal for Des Moines Airport
- Iowa Business Council survey finds national economic conditions weighing on the state
- Affordable housing, senior housing remain major obstacles
- Fort Dodge man accused of killing his father
- Central Iowa man charged with murder of four-month-old