Some of the top amateur girls basketball players are in the Des Moines area this week for a national tournament. Rob Johnson of the Greater Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau says it’s an Amateur Athletic Union National Invitation tournament that includes 42 teams from 18 different states. The tournament has three different age categories: 14 and under, 15 and under and 18 and under. Johnson says they’ll have a lot of courts going at several different locations.They had the opening ceremonies yesterday and play will continue throughout this week with the championships on Saturday night.Johnson says the tournament brings a lot of business to town with over 15-hundred people and an impact of 250-thousand dollars.Johnson says there are several Iowa teams in the tournament.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk