Operators of an eastern Iowa dairy farm have pleaded guilty to negligence in connection with some manure spills in Benton County. The state sued Cedar Valley Farms for several environmental violations. Two manure spills occurred about this time last year; two more happened in November and another happened just about two months ago. The firm, formerly known as Sunrise Dairy Farms, is located just south of Blairstown. It’s a confinement operation with a milking facility. The court has ordered Cedar Valley Farms to pay 131-thousand dollars in penalties and restitution for “negligently discharging manure into the waters of the state.” The company’s now in what amounts to a probation period. For the next two years, Cedar Valley Farms is supposed to pay all those court fines and fees and make sure there are no more manure spills or the case will be re-opened.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!