A southern Iowa woman is on her way to Oregon today to help victims of the latest state hit by wildfires. Donna Payne of Lamoni will spend the next three weeks in Oregon, volunteering for the American Red Cross. Payne says she’ll help make sure people know the Red Cross can provide shelter, financial help and moral support. She’ll also make sure the firefighters have plenty of water. Fire crews are burning brush trying to save homes in a southwestern Oregon Valley. Hundreds of residents have fled. Reinforcements from as far away as Virginia are helping fight fires burning on more than 400,000 acres in Oregon. Payne says she’s eager to get into the action.This is the eighth disaster Payne has covered as a Red Cross volunteer.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal