A late screen star will be featured on a new U-S postage stamp, but it may stir some foul feelings in eastern Iowa.Cary Grant was to perform a medley of his works at Davenport’s Adler Theatre in 1986 — and died before going onstage that night at age 82. People magazine did a feature story on the debonair actor and used the line, quote, “how unfortunate Grant died in such an unglamorous berg as Davenport, Iowa.” That line touched off a firestorm in the Mississippi River town, including many snappy letters sent to the magazine, which was even banned from some newsstands. Davenporters eventually got over the berg comment. People is again being sold there and post offices in Davenport and nationwide will start selling the new 37-cent stamp featuring Grant in October.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk