Iowa Senator Tom Harkin will be the only politician to speak at tonight’s memorial service for Minnesota Senator Paul Wellstone. Harkin wept as he tried to speak about Wellstone on Friday afternoon, a few hours after the fiesty Democrat died in a plane crash. Yesterday, Harkin’s eyes welled with tears as he was asked by reporters about what he’ll say at the memorial.Harkin says he’ll talk about Wellstone’s legacy to the country and to the Senate. Wellstone’s wife and 33-year-old daughter died in the crash, too. Wellstone’s two sons asked Harkin to speak at the memorial. Harkin says Wellstone was “like a brother” to him.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall