Though gas prices took a jump in Iowa this week they’re still far below the price analysts say we should be paying based on all the factors. Monte Shaw with the Renewable Fuels Association says there’s plenty of crude oil available at low prices. Given the country’s economic situation, the only reason prices aren’t even lower is the concern over international tensions, and some sellers who are keeping prices higher to make a profit. Shaw says there are reasons to keep a close eye on the market. He says there’s a lot of unrest in the Middle East and uncertainty about our dependence on oil from that region, and supplies have dropped to nothing from Venezuela, a country that supplies the U.S. as much oil as the Middle East does. One factor that could stabilize the uncertain markets is an oversupply of ethanol, which has seen prices for alcohol fuel drop steeply in recent weeks.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Humboldt Middle School teacher charged with sexual exploitation of a student
- Lawmaker launches converation about cutting Iowa casino taxes
- Author of the Bass Reeves trilogy to appear in Iowa tonight
- Historic West Liberty building moving today
- Opening day to submit nominating papers for Iowa’s 2024 Primary Ballot