Last week, Attorney General Tom Miller called for an increase in the cigarette tax as a way to boost funding for anti-smoking programs. Republicans who control the legislature’s debate agenda aren’t interested. Libby Jacobs of Des Moines is the Republican Whip in the House, who says she doesn’t hear a groundswell for raising taxes.And Senate Republican Leader Stewart Iverson of Dows says no to the idea..Iverson says the legislature is not going to raise taxes. Many other states raised cigarette taxes in efforts to balance the books, and most of the states surrounding Iowa have higher taxes on cigarettes and other tobacco products.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk