A special Martin Luther King Day ceremony was held at the State Historical Building this morning. Reverend James Newby urged participants to remember, celebrate and act.Governor Tom Vilsack says he asks himself whether Dr. King would be satisfied with where things stand today. Vilsack says Dr. King would not be satisfied because there’s an “educational achievement gap” in Iowa schools that finds white students do better than minority students.And Vilsack says King would not be satisfied with the way the world exists today. He says we have a great deal of work to do to create a world that would satisfy Dr. King.The crowd sang “We Shall Overcome” as they exited the auditorium.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!