Another Iowa Army National Guard unit is being activated for federal duty to serve in the war on terrorism. The latest Iowa Guard unit to answer the call is Detachment 1, Company F of the 106th Aviation unit. The group is based in Davenport and has about 100 members. The unit flies CH-47-D Chinook helicopters with a mission of transporting supplies, personnel and equipment in a theater of operations. It’s the first time the unit’s been put on active duty though members did take part in a multi-nation exercise in Paraguay last year. The activation takes the number of Iowa Guard members on active duty to 965, along with nearly another thousand Iowa-based Army Reservists. Another 715 Iowa Guard members are on alert or standby.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record