Iowa Senator Tom Harkin says it’s an outrage for the U.S. House to consider slashing benefits to America’s veterans, especially since the nation is now at war with Iraq. Harkin, a Democrat, blames House Republicans for the proposal to cut many benefits to men and women who have served the country. Harkin says the House budget would send a terrible message by cutting veterans’ benefits by 14-billion dollars. Harkin says it’s all about Republicans and taxes.Harkin says Republicans want to cut veterans’ benefits, school lunch programs and farm programs “because they want to have a tax cut…the majority of which benefits upper income people.” Iowa Congressman Jim Nussle, of Manchester, is chairman of the House Budget Committee.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature