A retarded man who is accused of attacking and raping a female worker at the Glenwood State Hospital in February is scheduled to be transferred to the Woodward State Hospital this week. Some state workers plan to picket at Woodward this afternoon, saying the suspect needs to be held in a more secure facility for everyone’s safety. Union official John Sprott is leading the protest.Sprott is president of Local 2990 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. Sprott says the suspect, Donald Young, has a violent nature and “thought out” the crime, calling him a dangerous person. He says Sprott can’t be kept secure at Woodward.Sprott says today’s protest is simply to raise awareness of the people in Woodward about the potential danger. The protest is scheduled to begin at 1 P.M., rain or shine.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Record highs possible today in the 70s, with wind chills tomorrow night below zero
- Farmers are concerned about dry soil headed into planting season
- DNR confirms dead gray wolf found near Davenport
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards